(Short Course) Introduction to Qualitative Research Methods and Analysis Skills
Why choose? this course?
The course is ideal for New MSc Conversion students who haven’t studied Psychology before as it provides an overview of qualitative research design, interview transcription, analysis and how to report findings in APA style format. The course is also ideal for those who wish to refresh their knowledge of qualitative research skills and analysis.
The course will:
- Cover an introduction to qualitative research methods
- Provide an understanding of the differences between quantitative and qualitative data analysis, ways in which qualitative data is collected and means by which this type of data is analysed
- Focus on thematic analysis and the process of transcription from a set of interviews that are provided for students
Key course features
- Experience and have practice of qualitative analysis such as thematic analysis
- Obtain an understanding of theory and methods involved in qualitative design and analysis in Psychology
- Gain an overview of how qualitative analysis differs to quantitative analysis
- Gain experience of preparation processes for data analysis such as transcribing interview recordings
- Learn how to report qualitative findings in APA style format
- You can make your way through pre-recorded content each week at your own pace and have opportunity to discuss queries and knowledge with your peers and tutors during an online session at the end of the week
- Study online for free
What you will study
- The recorded sessions and learning resources will be released on Monday, at the beginning of the week
- You are expected to attend Teams sessions for a seminar to discuss and engage in learning the weekly topic, and this will be at the end of the week on Friday
- You will be expected to use the resources to engage in self-directed activities as advised by the module leader/teacher in the weekly recordings. This will ensure student engagement with the topic and learning, which will be further discussed in the seminar session to consolidate and clarify
Entry requirements & applying
Applicants for MSc Psychology Conversion students and existing BSc (Level 4 going into 5, level 5 going into 6) and MSc Psychology Conversion students at Wrexham.
To book this course, please email PostGrad.Psychology@glyndwr.ac.uk
Teaching & Assessment
- A portfolio of assessment
- The pass grade for the course is 40%
- This is a three week course and you are expected to engage with the course content during this period
Fees & funding
27th March – 28th April 2023 (2-week University Easter break for teaching in between).
Assignment due on 2nd May 2023.
If you would like to find out more about future dates for this course, register your interest.