(Short Course) Introduction to Study Skills for Psychology
Year of entry
Why choose? this course?
The course is ideal for New MSc Conversion students who haven’t studied Psychology before as it covers skills including awareness of literature review, writing skills, referencing tool, and ethical considerations.
The content will:
- cover writing styles for different types of assignments within psychology such as research reports and essays that will involve considerable critical thinking skills, along with exemplar templates
- cover specific referencing styles used within Psychology such as APA and tools that can support this
Key course features
- Opportunity to develop knowledge of study skills specifically for psychology such for writing research reports and essays, literature review searching, ethical considerations, and using peer reviewed journal articles, academic skills for writing and referencing in APA format
- Gain an overview of referencing tools such as Mendeley
- Obtain an understanding of what academic integrity is
- Learn more about our broader university resources and how these are relevant to Psychology students
- You can make your way through pre-recorded content each week at your own pace and have opportunity to discuss queries and knowledge with your peers and tutors during an online session at the end of the week
- Study online for free
What you will study
- This is a two-week course and you are expected to engage with the course content during this period
- The recorded sessions and learning resources will be released on Monday, at the beginning of the week
- This course will introduce you to essential study skills for psychology, including awareness of literature review, writing skills, referencing tools, and ethical considerations
- You are expected to attend Teams session for a seminar to discuss and engage in learning the weekly topic, and this will be at the end of the week on Friday
- You will be expected to use the resources to engage in self-directed activities as advised by the module leader/teacher in the weekly recordings. This will ensure student engagement with the topic and learning, which will be further discussed in the seminar session to consolidate and clarify
Entry requirements & applying
Applicants for the MSc Psychology Conversion programme and current Conversion students.
To book this course, please email PostGrad.Psychology@glyndwr.ac.uk
Teaching & Assessment
- A portfolio of assessment to assess the following:
- 1. Awareness of the structure of essay, research report, and research proposal
- 2. Awareness of literature search, using referencing tools such as Mendeley, and technology for self-learning
- 3. Awareness of ethics in psychology
- The pass grade for the course is 40%
Fees & funding
6th - 17th February 2023
Assignment due on 20th February 2023
If you would like to find out more about future dates for this course, register your interest.