Professor Alison McMillan
- Maths & Physics BSc, UCL, 1986
- Applied Mechanics MSc, Cranfield, 1988
- Impact analysis of composites PhD, Staffordshire University, 1992
- Oxford, Engineering Science, Optimisation for vibrational mode shape
- Keele University, Maths, Nonlinear dynamics of wheel squeal
- Keele University, Communication and Neuroscience, Signal processing for speech recognition.
- Rolls-Royce plc, 1997-2011
- Stress validation (FEA) for shafts and bearing housings
- R&D programme management for manufacturing methods development
- Shafts work package management for TP400 engines (A400M aircraft)
- Impact analysis (FEA using Dyna) for fan blade containment system design for Trent 900 (A380 aircraft)
- R&D strategy leadership for composites.
- Intellectual Property and Export Control point of contact for the business unit.
- Royal Society Industry Fellow, 2007-2011 (part-time).
- Research into material properties in composites, including the effect of defects and porosity on strength and life.
- University of South Wales, 2011-12
- Wrexham University, 2012-present
- Effect of defects, porosity and inclusions on material properties
- Material standards
- Computational methods development (FEA/CFD & meshing)
- Simulation of manufacturing processes
- Embedding concepts like Industry 4.0, IoT and Digital Twin into engineering industrial practice
- Signal processing algorithms
- History and philosophy of science to address the problems of the future
Interests & Hobbies
- I play cornet and French horn, and direct a brass ensemble
- I compose and arrange music
- I grow vegetables
- I enjoy science fiction books and films
- Fellow of Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Fellow of Institute of Physics