(Short Course) An Introduction to Working in the Racing Industry
Why choose? this course?
Based at Clwydian Stud, Overton-on-Dee, this course will teach you about the racing industry and the opportunities available in the sector. You will engage with lectures, and practical sessions will be offered to develop the skills required by the industry. The course will be enhanced by the opportunity to participate in educational visits.
Key course features
- A combination of theory and practice
- Delivery by racing professionals
- Access to excellent practical facilities
- Yard and racecourse visits to enrich delivery
- Veterinary talk
What you will study
The short course will include:
- An insight into the structure of the racing industry and careers available
- Practical yard based days that will include - performance horse health, fitness and handling, fitting tack, rugs and bandages, loading horses onto a horse walker and washing off and care following exercise
- Educational visits such as a Stud and Bloodstock visit, a Racecourse Management visit and a Race Yard visit
- Veterinary talk
Entry requirements & applying
Experience of the equine industry either from owning a horse or working or studying in the industry.
Teaching & Assessment
Students will be assessed via a written piece of work that enables them to explore their suitability for a range of careers in the racing industry, and by completing a range of practical tasks typically required by employers in the racing industry.
Fees & funding
Do you live in Wales? We have a number of funding opportunities available, please complete the form below to find out if you are eligible to study this course for free. Apply now via this form.
Start date 26 June - July 1 2023.
Course times are from 9am-3pm.