(Short Course) Therapeutic Story Work
Year of entry
Why choose? this course?
The aim of this module is to promote understanding about how stories and storytelling can be a fundamental way in which people make sense of their lives.
It aims to examine the therapeutic use of stories and storytelling. It therefore seeks to promote practice skills focusing on stories and storytelling activities in therapeutic work with children. The module provides students with an opportunity to learn about practice-relevant techniques in a well-supported teaching and learning environment.
Key course features
- Learn about practice-relevant techniques in a well-supported teaching and learning environment
- Blended learning approach - join weekly face-to-face sessions and study online around your commitments
What you will study
- Module introduction
- Introduction to therapeutic stories and storytelling – ethics and process
- Practice issues in therapeutic work with vulnerable children.
- Storytelling and communication skills
- Stories in the therapeutic relationship
- Multi-layered stories and the use of a strength-based perspective.
- Stories and storytelling activities in therapeutic work with children
- Storytelling in poetry, fiction, autobiography and performance
- Story as metaphor
- Researching stories
- Life story work with children
Teaching & Assessment
This module is delivered via blended learning consisting of 9 teaching weeks. This means that the group will mainly meet for a 1 hour interactive synchronous session on Thursday mornings between 9 and 10am via Teams. Plus a two hour weekly asynchronous teaching session which can be accessed by the student any time to suit their weekly schedule. The only change to this pattern is on the final session which is three hours and will take place at the University.
These sessions will include coursework assessment and a ten minute presentation which will take place on week 9.
Fees & funding
Do you live in Wales? We have a number of funding opportunities available, please complete the form below to find out if you are eligible to study this course for free. Apply now via this form.
If you would like to find out more about future dates for this course, register your interest.