It is very important that you only plan to travel abroad either during your allowed vacation dates (this varies upon level of study) OR if you have been granted Authorised Leave Form (PDF)

If you need to leave the UK for urgent reasons please contact the University’s Immigration Compliance Team as soon as possible.

If you leave the United Kingdom outside either of these conditions then you may be denied access back into the United Kingdom.

If you are uncertain about your attendance requirements or authorised absence then please contact us directly.

Links for more information about attendance requirements and authorised absence are available at the bottom of the page.

Important documents to travel with abroad

In order to minimise the likelihood of having problems re-entering the UK, we advise you to carry the following documents in your hand luggage for inspection by Border Force Officials, if necessary:

  • Passport
  • Visa or Biometric Residence Permit
  • Police Registration Certificate (if applicable) showing your current UK address and your visa status
  • Proof of Enrolment Letter
  • CAS email (if current visa is within one month of expiring and you are planning to apply for a Student Visa extension)
  • Evidence of funding (bank statement or sponsor’s letter)

Your travel documents are very important and losing them will prevent or delay your re-enter to the UK which may impact on your studies. You should keep your documents safe and we also recommend that you have scans or copies of your passport and immigration documents. If your documents are lost or stolen while you are travelling please contact us at the earliest opportunity and follow the guidance on our Lost Passports and Visas page.

Schengen Visas

Many students will want to travel to Europe at some stage during their studies. A Schengen visa allows students to visit any (or all) of the countries in the Schengen area in one trip, lasting up to 30 days, without having to apply for a separate visa for each country.

We are unable to advise on Schengen visas but a letter may be required to apply for a Schengen visa. To get a Schengen letter please contact your Faculty Office.

The Schengen area currently covers the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Please note that the United Kingdom, as well as the Republic of Ireland, are NOT part of the Schengen area.

Students from some countries may not require a visa for a short stay visit to the Schengen area. However, they are always advised to check with the relevant Embassy/Consulate of the country they will be applying to.

Students should normally apply to the Embassy/Consulate/Visa Application Centre of the country where they plan to spend the most time.

All destinations require comprehensive travel insurance which also includes a repatriation clause in case of accident/death in the Schengen area.

Useful External Links

Please note: Wrexham University cannot accept responsibility for the content of external websites.