Employment reference requests

Current/Former Students

Do you require a reference for a new job, University place or anything else that requires information on your skills and suitability?

Contact a relevant academic staff member from your studies such as your Programme Leader, Module Leader or Personal Tutor. You can find contact details by entering their name in the search box of the University website or by searching for your course and reviewing the “Meet the Staff” section. You will need to ask the staff member whether they are willing and able, to provide a qualitative reference, whilst indicating who and what it is for. Please be aware that Academic staff will have their own workloads to consider and may take up to two weeks to provide a reference (if they are able). Please note academic staff are under no obligation to complete reference requests.

Note: If you are a former student from NEWI or Glyndwr University London (GUL), if your course no longer runs or if your lecturers are no longer employed at the University, we will not be able to provide a qualitative reference for you.

Do you need to purchase replacement documents?

Transcripts and confirmation letters can be purchased via our online store.

Replacement Certificates can be purchased via our online store.


Do you need a qualitative reference for a current or former student, for example, information on absences and skills?

For qualitative checks, requiring a personal character reference, current or former students should first make contact with an appropriate professional or academic staff member to ask permission, prior to any documentation being sent by a third party. For GDPR purposes, students will also be required to provide written consent allowing the University to release information to a third party. Please liaise with the student in the first instance to identify an appropriate member of staff they can contact to make this request.

Do you need to authenticate quantitative information on the student's profile, for example, enrolment dates, course name and achievement?

The Hedd (Higher Education Degree Data check) online verification service, for employers and agencies, is the correct mechanism to verify University awards. Please note that that service is only for third parties. The online candidate verification service allows registered enquirers to input data provided by applicants (name, date of birth, institution, year of graduation, qualification classification etc). To make an enquiry you need to register with Hedd by visiting www.hedd.ac.uk. Select Wrexham Glyndŵr University from the list of UK higher education institutions and choose the option to 'verify a degree award'. There is a charge of £12 per enquiry. You will also be required to upload a consent form. If the information submitted is an exact match to the information held within the student record, your request will automatically be verified. If the information does not match all fields, then the enquiry will go to the team here for manual verification, with a five working-day turnaround time. If you have any problems or queries, please email heddhelp@prospects.ac.uk, including your phone number if you would like a callback.

Do you need to authenticate a certificate or transcript?

Please email the certificate or transcript and the students' consent form to employmentreferences@glyndwr.ac.uk 

For any general queries in relation to employment references please email employmentreferences@glyndwr.ac.uk 

You can view our References for Students Policy and Procedure here.