(Short Course) Introduction to social work
Year of entry
Why choose? this course?
Considering a career in social work? Develop your understanding of professional social work education and practice with this introductory short course.
This course is especially useful to:
- those contemplating a career in social work and wanting to have a substantive introduction to test out motivation and preparation
- those in social care roles who want to move to social work but need to test their ability and confidence for level 4 study and
- those who have applied for the BA Social Work but have been unsuccessful, and want to do more preparation.
Key course features
- Receive module input from qualified social workers.
- Prepares you for applications to social work courses.
- Blended online and face to face learning (face to face sessions delivered in the evenings).
What you will study
- Outline the approaches, demands, nature and requirements of qualifying education for social work.
- Introduce the expectations and process of regulation associated with professional social work practice, Social Care Wales and the specific Welsh context of social work practice.
- Identify the key individuals and types of practice undertaken in social work.
- Explore the key knowledge, qualities and skills required by social workers.
- Introduce principles of social work values, anti-oppressive practice and working in partnership (participation).
Entry requirements & applying
There is no formal entry requirements and applicants who would like to informally discuss their suitability can email Helena.Barlow@glyndwr.ac.uk.
Teaching & Assessment
Teaching and assessment is at level 4 and there will be 36 hours teaching and 164 hours of independent study time totalling 200 hours.
Students will submit a single mini-portfolio document, the details of which will be explored as part of the course
- A reflective account in which the student will consider how social work is distinct from social care, and the implications of regulation (1,200 words)
- An annotated bibliography of five texts in a particular area of social work practice. audience (500 words equivalent)
- Printed copies of two posts in response to directed Module Discussion Forums. (2 x 250 words)
Fees & funding
- Wednesday 21st February 2024