Before you begin studying, you will need to attend a right to study check if you are not a British Citizen or an EEA or Swiss national.

At the right to study check we will look at your passport or travel document and evidence of your immigration permission. If you have a Tier 4 or Student visa, we will also need to see the qualifications used to make you an offer for your programme.

You can find examples of the right to study documents we need to see in Useful Downloads at the bottom of this page.

If you are starting or returning to your studies in September or January, you will usually be invited to attend an International Registration appointment to complete a right to study check.

For each subsequent year of study, you will need to enrol at the beginning of each academic year.

Passport and immigration permission

The University is required to keep a copy of your current passport or travel document and your current immigration permission.

If you have a Tier 4 or Student visa for a programme longer than 6 months, your immigration permission will usually be in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If you get a new passport or immigration permission during your studies, you must provide these to the University so we can update your student record.

Send a scan or photo of your passport or both sides of your BRP to the University’s Immigration Compliance Team at We will contact you again if you need to visit the Team in-person with your original document.

I have a visa check hold which is preventing me from completing my online enrolment. What should I do?

You should attend a right to study check. If you are starting a new course or returning to your studies, the right to study check will be at an International Registration appointment.

If you have already attended International Registration and you are still experiencing this problem please  contact us.

Contact details

You must make sure your current address and contact details are up to date on your student record.

You will be asked to provide these when you enrol for your programme but you can update your contact details during your studies by following instructions on Student Administration.

Keeping the Home Office up to date

UKCISA have comprehensive guidance about reporting other changes of circumstances on their webpage about Protecting your Student Status.

To report:

To report:

  • Change of name
  • Change of nationality
  • Change of date of birth
  • Change of gender

use the online form linked from the UK Visas and Immigration webpage: Report a change of circumstances if you have a visa or BRP.

If police registration is a condition of your visa

You need to update your personal details with the police nationalities office, if police registration is a condition of your current visa.

Useful Downloads