(Short Course) Introduction to Speech and Language Therapy
Year of entry
Why choose? this course?
This ‘Introduction to Speech and Language Therapy’ course will join a suite of Allied Health Professional (AHP) ‘Introduction to’ courses, offered at Wrexham University. They have the primary aim of widening participation and access onto healthcare courses for students from traditional and non-traditional routes.
This seven week, online course covers preparatory knowledge and skills to support an application to study Speech and Language Therapy or an application to a related healthcare course as it covers healthcare values and gives an overview of student life here at Wrexham University. The course will be delivered by registered and practising Speech and Language Therapists from the local health board.
It would appeal to applicants whose strengths include good communication, team working and interpersonal skills and a desire to work in the profession or healthcare sector. Completion of the course would be a valuable asset on the ‘relevant experience’ section of an application to the BSc in Speech and Language Therapy. It would also provide the opportunity to meet the teaching staff and find out more about the course, career, the university and student life.
The course engages students throughout using the Active Learning Framework and blended learning approach.
Key course features
- Delivered by registered Speech and Language Therapists from the local health board
- Free course
- Recorded sessions and uploaded materials for students to access in their own time
- Supports an application to study Speech and Language Therapy
- Gain 20 credits at Level 4
- Find out more about studying the course and student life at Wrexham University
What you will study
- Introduction and overview of Allied Health Professionals
- Communication and Swallowing
- Role of the Speech and Language Therapist
- Speech and Language Therapy as a career + Midway formative quiz
- Themes in the profession
- BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy at Wrexham University
- Summary and Assessment
Entry requirements & applying
The booking for this course closes a week before the course start date.
If you would like to find out more about future dates for this course, register your interest.
Teaching & Assessment
- 7 hours of synchronous live teaching
- 29 hours of asynchronous content including reading, webinars, podcasts on Moodle in preparation for the live sessions and for the assessments
- 164 hours of independent learning
- Midway assessment – week 4. MCQ
- Summative assessment – week 7. A reflective piece of work linked to personal statement.
Fees & funding
Friday 3rd May - Online
Friday 10th May - Online
Friday 17th May - Online
Friday 24th May - Online
Friday 7th June - On Campus
Friday 14th June - On Campus